2008-04-20

Terminals and Hostels

So, here am I, sitting in a pleasant enough little room in one of the on-site hostels at CERN, the partical physics lab on the edge of Geneva. I've got a week of meetings, seminars and workshops on the grid computing system that is being built to support the Large Hadron Collider when it is turned on later this year. It's quite a big event this, with over 200 of the great and the good from the grid community from around the world. I feel like a very small fish.

I've not seen much of CERN yet (and may not get the chance to, really) but what I can report on is that the new Terminal 5 at Heathrow is actually pretty good. It may be partly because people are steering clear for the moment given recent hassles (and they aren't running long haul flights from there yet as far as I know), but it was all very smooth and one of the easiest trips through an airport that I have experienced. Our baggage even arrived correctly! (I had taken the precaution of keeping enough kit to keep me going in my hand luggage, but I'm glad to have all my things here anyway.)

No comments: