2008-04-14

Caecilius in horto sedet

This week's Doctor Who was enjoyable for many reasons, not least of which the fact that I actually got a fairly obscure in-joke. At least I assume it was an in-joke as otherwise it would be too much of a coincidence. You see, when I was about 12 or 13 I had some classics lessons at school, which comprised some very basic Latin lessons and a load of "how the Romans lived" stuff, all through the medium of a series of booklets following the exploits of a Pompeiian merchant named Caecilius and his family, which included a wife named Metella and a son named Quintus. I am pleased to have predicted the character names in advance. I expect that is the last such flash of insight I will have this year.

3 comments:

Claire Fayers said...

That explains where they did their research for the episode.

I thought the episode was okay, but a bit like one of those 'dilemma' questions that psychology researchers are so fond of. And a bit too much shouting from whatsername Tate, though I don't think there's any way round that.

Anonymous said...

You're not imagining it - they explained that one in the "Doctor Who Confidential" after the program.

Now, when is Donna going to meet a violent death?

Rob said...

I hardly ever watch the DVD extras, so missed out on that. So here I am being clever (ish) and the rest of the world says, "So what? We all knew already. Didn't you watch Confidential?"

As for Donna... Is she bovvered? I don't think so.