2008-04-28

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety Hadron

I finally got home from Geneva at about midnight on Friday, after an OK trip — once again BA didn't lose my luggage at T5, although for a while it looks like it had. Just as I was about to go to the enquiries desk, there appeared my little case packed with dirty clothes.

The week was interesting, though a lot of the content of the meetings went over my head. Probably the most useful aspect was getting to meet and chat with a load of the UK grid people (including several who work at the same site as me) who I will be working with over the coming months and years.

We ate well too, including a stonking steak at Cafe de l'Aviation, a veal saute thingie at a great little bistro in a back street, a proper Italian-style pizza laden with fish, and my first ever steak tartare, which was really very nice. Unfortunately no fondue this time though.

As pretty much expected I didn't get to have a proper look around CERN. It would have been great to look into one of the experiment caverns, but them's the breaks. They've already started to cool the ring down (it'll get below 2K over the next few weeks, so darn cold!) and are planning to fireup the first beams later in the summer, so I think the chances of getting a real look are diminishing now. It's all very exciting stuff though. I expect we'll be seeing a lot of press coverage later in the year, though it'll be some time before the LHC is running at full power.

No comments: