2008-04-02

Anglos and Ales

Fun over the last few days...

On Saturday I had my first trip out with the morris side to the Icknield Ale. Basically, an ale is a get-together for morris dancers, where there is much dancing, eating, singing and, of course, drinking of ale. Many morris teams host one, generally during the "off-season" and this was the one we hosted. There were nearly 100 men from something over a dozen teams and it was a cracking night. I even ended up dancing sets from a tradition I had not even heard of before, let alone danced. I'm still recovering.

Then on Monday, the Youngling and I went to Oxford and I bought myself a new toy: a Rochelle 30-key, C/G Anglo concertina. So far I haven't had much time playing it, but I'm managing to get a few hesitant tunes out of it. I've been eyeing up this type of concertina for some time (it is widely reckoned to be the best beginner Anglo available, and probably would be at double the price), but finally took the plunge and made the purchase after receiving some money courtesy of my recently departed (and much missed) grandfather, along with the instructions to spend some of it frivolously. I'm not sure that buying a musical instrument is the most frivolous thing I could have done, but from now on the instrument will always be a reminder of Gramp, and should give years of enjoyment, which I think is in the appropriate spirit.

No comments: