2006-12-12

Three Men in a Canal

This Sunday's pub session was very quiet, with only myself (with harmonicas), J. with a fiddle, and W. with a concertina (and occasionally whistle and bodhran), though we were later joined by the landlord and the cajon (that's one of those boxes that you sit on and smack with your hands to make nice drumming noises) which had been presented to him by the band which regularly plays there. Despite the lack of people, I had a great time, joining in on a handful of tunes, starting a couple myself, and spending quite a bit of time just chatting away. While it was light on the music, it was a really nice, relaxed atmosphere and I got to find out a bit about the workings of a duet concertina.

Inspired by the evening, I went home and learnt to play one of the local session standards, The Canal In October (known elsewhere as Le Canal En Octobre), and now I am kicking myself for not tackling it sooner — it's one of those really elegantly simple tunes which is easy to play and nice to listen to. Of course, now I need to learn something to play with it in a set...

Still no baby.

No comments: