2006-06-05

Jousting and Corrupting the Young

That was a fun but tiring weekend, particularly Saturday which saw a trip to see Sister1 and family, which included a visit to a mediaeval fair near them. I managed to buy myself a good new ale mug, and sat watching assorted shows including fellers hitting each other with assorted bits of metal and wood (sometimes on horseback) and a falconry display which culminated in flying two falcons (I can't remember what they were — they were two different species and neither was a peregrine!) to one lure, which was pretty cool.

Later on I managed to have a lot of fun with my 5-year-old niece, who took an interest in my harmonica, so I gave her a spare and taught her a little bit of chugging, and in no time she was getting quite good (though she couldn't get her head around the draw notes) and we had some fun chugging away together for a while. Later, when the rest of us were doing something else, the sound of "tock-a-diddley, tock-a-diddley" could be heard from the garden. The niece tells me that she has a friend at school who has a harmonica, so I am fully expecting her to be far better than I am by the time I next see her (in a couple of months, probably). If she stays interested, that is.

2 comments:

Rob Stradling said...

Nothing to say about harmonicas per se, but just a "howdy" 'cos I've found you. How cosy!

Rob said...

Howdy. Long time no see.