2006-05-31

A Future Identity

Here's something nice: a speculative piece about the state of the UK's ID card system and national identity database in ten years' time, written by an SF author who is working on a novel set around then. It's well thought out and scarily plausible.

Incidentally, I finally managed to get my passport application in the post. The first working photo booth I found was an old style one that takes four photos with no warnings and ended up producing a bunch of pictures that looked like an extra from a George Romero film. Later I managed to find a modern machine, one where you can see your picture and check that it is vaguely OK before printing. I still don't look like Johnny Depp, but it's a good enough picture. So now I have to wait. The passport agency should be emailing me with progress notices about my application...

1 comment:

Rob said...

I don't think I'd want to inflict the results on my thousands (oh, OK then, three) of readers. Besides, I can't be arsed to find a scanny device.

Things is OK, cheers. You?

Strewth, I hadn't looked at your blog for a couple of weeks and allovvasudden there's a load of posts. Maybe its time to see if your RSS feed does work as advertised... :o)