2006-01-23

On Strangling Cats

For years now I have been saying to myself that I really should learn a musical instrument, but I've never really decided what to learn. Well, last week it came to me in a flash of light: the harmonica! It's small, portable, cheap, doesn't require batteries, annoys the hell out of people, and besides, with my surname it's too good to miss (if you didn't know, the harmonica is often referred to as the blues harp, or just harp — apparently a nod to the aeolian harp, which has some similarities).

So I poked around on the internet, placed an order, and on Friday my Lee Oskar Major Diatonic harmonica in the key of C arrived. I am still awaiting the arrival of the tuition book I ordered, but in the meantime I found some info and advice on the web to give me something to practice. <3 has been very calm and understanding in the face of repeated, inexpert playing of the first two bars of "Love Me Do" and the first couple of lines of "Three Blind Mice". It ain't exactly the blues, but the book should get here within the next couple of days...

No comments: