2005-09-23

Near Miss

Today I received an email from a family member pointing me at a website purporting to allow visitors to find out about "near misses" registered on their car by speed cameras, explaining that if you reach 20 near misses you receive a speeding ticket.

Well, a whois search on the domain reveals that the owner of the site is one "Snooty Fox Leisure" (which doesn't sound like the sort of organisation that would have access to this sort of information), and viewing the page source reveals that the first line of the page is a comment reading "This is a fake program that is not intended to harm anyone (c) Paul Suggitt 2003".

I guess this isn't genuine.

2005-09-26 Update: I've had another look at the site and played with it -- it gives you pregenerated usernames and passwords, and doesn't actually do anything else (the site pretends that the service is unavailable). I wonder how many people keep going back there to try to check their car.

2005-09-27 Another update: OK, it does work (the service unavailable was genuine), and it seems safe. I still don't approve for numerous reasons. Yeah, I'm a sour-puss and grumpy-face.

No comments: