2007-08-30

Parliament Goes Quack!

Thanks to Rich for raising this one... A few months ago, one Rudi Vis, MP, raised an early day motion on NHS homeopathic hospitals. Basically, an EDM is a sort of petition used so that matters of interest to individual MPs can be aired without needing to take up a lot of time. This particular one calls on the government to support homeopathic hospitals through the NHS as they have "the potential to offer clinically-effective and cost-effective solutions to common health problems".

Now let's be clear on this: homeopathy is, according to all scientific studies undertaken so far, snake oil. It relies on patients taking doses of water (active ingredients are diluted to the point that not one single molecule remains in a typical dose) or similar carriers and can be shown to have no benefits at all beyond the placebo effect. At a time when proven effective treatments are being withheld from patients because there just isn't the money to go around, should we really be spending public money propping up superstitious quackery?

I've written to my MP about this as he is one of the poor, misguided fools who have supported this EDM. With a little luck (and some badgering) he may see the light.

If you want to know more about homeopathy, Google is your friend. There is an article on Quackometer about this EDM and many good debunk articles from fairly solid sources floating around.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well - I got a reply from my MP and local professional Sven Goran Eriksson impersonator*, Peter Bone:

"I am always interested to hear constituant's different views. Unfortunately it is impossible for my views to coincide with all views of my constituants. It is clear on this issue that we differ in our stance."

In other words, "I'm not listening la-la-la-la-la I'M NOT LISTENING!!!"

Sadly, I wouldn't have considered voting for him in the first place, so I can't withdraw my vote.