2006-02-20

Seeds of Change

It's getting towards the planting stuff season, so I've been digging patches of the garden and planning this year's planting. We have a selection of spuds chitting away on the windowsill, a load of broad beans already planted out under cloches and (by way of this year's exotica) a few pots containing globe artichokes which are in the process of germinating. Hopefully I'll end up with enough decent artichoke plants to get a few out in the garden and trade a few for seedlings of other varieties. It'll be next year before we get a real crop, but I'm looking forward to that.

In addition to the small heap of fresh seeds acquired over the last couple of weeks I still have some left over from last year. No idea if they'll germinate OK, so I've put a few of each (leeks, carrots, lettuces) into small pots to grow indoors. If they work out on the windowsill I'll be able to plant the rest out later. If not, I'll just haveto get some replacements...

No comments: